At least 10 nursing students were hospitalised and many others complained of breathlessness and vomiting Friday after inhaling chlorine gas leaking from a cylinder in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, police said.
The gas leakage was detected from a cylinder stored within the Chief Medical Officer’s (CMO) office campus in Mathura district, about 395 km northwest of Lucknow, the capital city of Uttar Pradesh.
The leakage was first discovered on Thursday evening, and the fire department was called to fix the issue when the leakage was detected again at 11:00 a.m. local time on Friday, said Ajay Kumar Verma of CMO Mathura.
Some nursing students of the Auxiliary Nursing Midwifery (ANM) training school coughed inside the campus, while the fire department personnel wearing gas masks were seen taking out cylinders from the pumping station.
“A few students were anxious, they were brought out. A few of them vomited out of anxiety. We took them to hospital, and they are all stable,” said Verma.